Once NANOTRYP has achieved the ambitious goals set out above a clear set of measurable results will be available, including;
- A collection of nanobodies that will recognize the HAT causing parasites T.rhodesiense, T.gambiense, as well as surface molecules of the parasites T.brucei, T.congolense, T.vivax and T. evansi, the causative agents of animal trypanosomiasis.
- The development of a Nb-based dipstick diagnostic test for detection of parasites through antigen detection, both for HAT and animal trypanosomiasis.
- The development of a Nb-based magnetic bead diagnostic tool for trypanosomiasis that allows visualization of the parasite in blood, both for HAT and animal trypanosomiasis.
- The development of an Nb-based targeting strategy for site-specific drug delivery, in order to improve current anti-parasite therapies.
- Working and training visits of members of the African participant teams to the laboratories of the European partners.
- The organization of three workshops in applied diagnostic and treatment of trypanosomiasis in the African partner countries.
- Conducting of trypanosomiasis awareness campaigns that will accompany all field diagnostics and treatment efforts. This will be combined with the introduction of an on-going information dissemination programme using a web-based media campaign, printed leaflets and training for local vets and doctors.